Monday, June 9, 2008

Week 2 : Tesuque Creek # 254

Tesuque Creek
Distance hiked: 4.85 mi
Elevation: 7,100-7,600
Elevation Gain: 500 ft

Yesterday I officially kicked off my training with my first hike with LLS. Tesuque Creek/Winsor Trail No. 254 is in the Santa Fe area in the beautiful adobe community of Tesuque. The first leg of the trip takes you past several rustic homes before you get into the wilderness.

I should have paid more attention to our hike leader's warning that we were gonna get wet feet, but after crossing the creek several times, I began to find my squishy sneakers quite refreshing! AND, I am proud to report, I did not get any blisters from said sneakers.

The hike was fairly easy. I did
huff and puff the first few minutes since it was my first real hike since last year, but my worries of being left in the dust were silly.

Everyone on the hike was very friendly and welcoming. We had fun attempting to cross the makeshift bridges. I think after the first few, I abandoned all hope for fear of falling in and ruining yet another digital camera. We finished up one of the last crossings with some fantastic synchronized swimming!

So all in all, week one was a great success. I'm looking forward to the next one! If you haven't already, check out my LLS webpage. It has more information about what I'm doing as well as an opportunity to join me in supporting cancer research.

Hike on!

Maria
http://pages.hikefordiscovery.org/nm/rockymt08/mfriesen

No comments: