Thursday, September 4, 2008

TWA Crash Site

Domingo Baca Route to the TWA Crash Site
Distance Hiked: 8 mi
Elevation:
6,450-8,810 ft
Elevation Gain: 2,360 ft
Distance This Season: 67.45 mi
Elevation Gain This Season: 16,316 ft

Last Sunday we got up bright and early with the New Mexico marathon runners and hit the trails to find the TWA Crash Site in the Sandias. Richard was our fearless leader and used his might navigation skills to lead us though the lush rainforesty "trail".
It was misty all morning and pretty foggy in some parts but we didn't get too wet or cold throughout the climb. We had lots of obstacles along the way but made it up safely in one piece to the site.
The TWA plane
crashed on Feb. 19, 1955, killing all 16 people aboard. The wreckage extends over about 300ish yards in the trees and bushes. You can view lots of photos in my slideshow I made here. It was a very unique experience and a beautiful morning hike. Thanks to Richard for organizing, leading, and feeding the group.



Today I'm off to Colorado for my event hike on Saturday. I will be getting up at the crack of dawn and conquering Mount Ida so wish me luck and pray for nice weather! Thanks to everyone for supporting me all summer and also for donating to LLS! You rock! See ya at the top!

Maria

No comments: