Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week 12 - Pino Trail #140 to the South Peak

Pino Trail #140
Distance Hiked: 10 mi
Elevation:
6,460-9,230 ft
Elevation Gain: 2,770 ft
Distance This Season: 51.45 mi
Elevation Gain This Season: 12,256 ft


We got to sleep in a little bit this week as our hike was a lot closer to home. We were hiking in the Sandias once again since we've had such a good "monsoon" season and the mountain opened back up again last month. Our hike started from the Elena Gallegos Parking lot and climbed all the way to the South Peak where half the team hiked along the Cienega Trail and the other half enjoyed a nice picnic lunch at the top.






The trail was exposed and fairly flat for the first mile or so and then became nice and shady with lots of lush green vegetation. The climb was a workout but not too difficult with the hardest part beginning closer to the top with the many switchbacks up the mountain.





I felt my heels rubbing against my boots early on as we steadily climbed but like a fool, I ignored it. And now I have finally received my first blisters of the hiking season- bah! I guess that's what I get for being a dumdum. Luckily Target sells magical blister bandages that will hopefully help me heal my heels before the next big hike.

Next week is our second to last hike before our event hike in Rocky Mountain NP and I feel ready and happy. With only a few more weeks to go the fundraising total is just shy of $3000! Thanks again to everyone who donated to the cause. And for those that haven't- it's not too late!

No comments: